Thursday, January 1, 2009

From Windows to Linux (Ubuntu)


Here's a list of some applications I wanted to use (and what I found/use now):
  • Total Commander with WinRar (works with Wine, and I use Gnome Commander for some similar functionallity. Also Krusader is your other option)
  • World of Warcraft (works with Wine, and I use alsa-oss sound wrapper, works better)
  • EVE On-line (has self installer under Linux, also works with Wine - or it used to)
  • Ventrilo / TeamSpeak (works with Wine + some manual codec copying / native client)
  • Fraps (glc-capture is a lot like fraps, there's also recordmydesktop and Istanbul desktop recorder)
  • Firefox / Thunderbird / OpenOffice.org (all come with Ubuntu, personally I used OOo on Windows, so I have no need for Microsoft Office, but some version can be installed with Wine)
  • VirtualDub / some sort of Movie Maker or Pinnacle Studio (Avidemux is ok, but not as strong as VirtualDub, I also use FuocoTools (link2) for conversion frontend / tried Cinerrela and LIVEs for video editing, but mostly they don't work for me and currently I can't find a good one that would. Recently I started using Blender for 3D modeling and animation and has a built-in video editor, but I haven't checked it out yet - so expect a post on this later)
  • VMware / VirtualBox (both work fine)
  • Nero / Roxio (GnomeBaker, K3B, Brasero - all installable through APT)
  • MSN / GoogleTalk / Yahoo / ICQ / ... (Pidgin works great but there are others too)
  • Media Player Classic + codecs / Winamp (VLC + Gstreamer codecs from repositores / XMMS - repo here, deb file here)
  • Photoshop / Paint Shop Pro (Gimp, GimPhoto - I also tried running Photoshop CS2 with Wine successfully after copying files from Windows installation and applying registry keys, but I don't use it so...)
  • Some Google applications have installers for Linux (GoogleEarth, Picasa)
  • Some other applications like local dictionaries, HTML editors (Homesite+, Notepad++) work for me with Wine, but now I mostly look for OpenSource software and try to use that instead. Also commercial applications offer more and more Linux versions.
Apart from that, I wanted TV out with full screen video and I use 2 sound cards, 1 for desktop and 1 for TV set, so that should work aswell. And it does, both ATI and Nvidia have much like in Windows configuration tool to do just that. Sound adapters were configured as its described in the old PDF posted previously.


The beginings of my Ubuntu expirience...

No comments:

Post a Comment