Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Windows 7 to the ATI rescue?


Recently, Microsoft released a BETA version of its new client operating system to the public. I couldn't resist the urge to install it and give it a try.

For this I used my work notebook, an HP nc6400 with ATI x1300 Mobility Radeon, which performs crappy under Windows XP aswell as Ubuntu 8.10. There's a lot of issues with ATI graphics under all of the operating system really, so I prefer to use Nvidia wherever I can.

First things first - I did a complete format of the notebook and split the disk in 2 major partitions - one for Ubuntu and one for Windows 7 (which can be downloaded here). Actually Windows now makes about 200MB partition for some system files, and the rest as C:, while Ubuntu creates a root system (/) and one for your swap file.

Both install smoothly its very simple to get them working, I still love the Ubuntu way of adding applications and the usability of Compiz desktop... but indeed Windows improved! Unlike Vista it now loads decently fast, and runs quite smoothly with a normal memory usage and much better disk access (faster reads/writes). It has bugs, since it's beta - for example, I cant safely remove my portable disks and some other "not-so" important issues that are not resolved yet. All in all it looks much better specially due to the new taskbar, which kinda acts like a dock now... but still needs polishing.

Last thing I wanted to mention, for people interested in testing Windows 7 is specially with ATI graphics, since I have many problems with it with XP or Ubuntu, Windows 7 works really nice with ATI graphics. I play World of Warcraft a lot and actually at the place where my frame rate was the worst (Dalaran) actually doubled with Windows 7!

No comments:

Post a Comment